West Norwood has been granted a fantastic £4.8m from the Lottery. Friends of West Norwood Cemetery said the £4.8m investment would be spent on improving the cemetery’s drainage, footpaths and entrance gates.The money will also be used for works on an area reserved for the Greek Orthodox community – known as the “necropolis” or “cemetery within a cemetery”.
Notable people buried at West Norwood Cemetery
- Isabella Beeton (1836-1865) – Author of Mrs Beeton’s Book of Household Management
- Sir Henry Bessemer (1813-1898) – Inventor of the Bessemer converter, which helped mass-produce steel
- Sir Henry Doulton (1820-1897) – Businessman, inventor and pottery manufacturer
- Sir Henry Tate (1819-1899) – Sugar merchant who founded the Tate gallery
- Sir Hiram Maxim (1840-1916) – Inventor of the Maxim machine gun