Thank you to everyone who took the time to complete our online survey, speak to us on the doorstep or email with your ideas – we have passed on your comments and preferences to the tree officer who is busy checking locations to see if they are viable (in terms of eg wires under the pavement).
While we will endeavour to match the species with the location where they have been nominated, you may be interested in seeing how your neighbours across the ward voted:
We have secure dozens of trees to be planted in February across the ward – and we want your help to choose locations and varieties.
To get as much input from residents as possible, we have put together an online survey, sent emails, met with residents associations, doorknocked on streets across the ward and delivered flyers to homes near potential new tree pits.
Many of you have been in touch with your requests and ideas – thank you! These have all been passed to tree officers who will evaluate the suggested sites (eg for wires under the pavement) and will where possible source your preferred trees from the nursery.
If you haven’t shared your preferences – now is your last chance to do so! The deadline for the survey is tomorrow Monday 10th December. Please let us know your favourite tree varieties and spots across the ward you think could do with some extra greenery, and encourage your neighbours to respond too.
We are thrilled that work has started on the new zebra crossing on Norwood Road, next to Harpenden Road.
Road safety is our top priority and we have been really disappointed by the delays to the delivery of this scheme. Initially, a complaint held up the delivery, and then complications regarding road traffic orders. These have been resolved, and in the meantime we organised for the contractors to be on site every morning with stop/go signs to help students cross the road to school.
The zebra crossing was a key aspect of Streetworks, designed by the community in workshops and receiving significant support during extensive consultation. We worked with Elmgreen School as well as local groups like the Norwood and Tulse Hill Forums and the Business Improvement District to ensure residents had many opportunities to have their say including meetings, workshops, market stalls, in-person surveys, social media and letters through every local door.
In January 2018 Lambeth Cabinet gave the provisional approval for the Field Day festival to go ahead in Brockwell Park on the first weekend of June, and we have been working hard as your local Councillors to ensure that this festival, if it were to go ahead, is properly managed. Since these event proposals for Brockwell Park came to our attention we have been talking with the community to make sure that resident views are taken into account, and held a public event back in December 2017 for example to make sure residents could engage in the process and allow for them to have an opportunity to put their views forward.
After consulting with local residents we made an extensive submission to the Licensing Committee – the independent statutory body tasked with deciding whether Field Day has the permission to get a license to sell alcohol and host live music. In the main, we have made the case that the closing times need to be significantly reduced, that noise issues remain a concern and that we also have concerns about disturbances and anti-social behaviour. We will be at the Licensing Committee on the 4th April 2018 to represent residents.
Otherwise, we have also started on a provisional basis working with the community team from the Field Day event organisers. In the event the festival goes ahead we have already managed to secure agreement from Field Day for the protection of parking spaces in the area around the festival, for extensive rubbish clearance on all roads around the park and a commitment to attend initiate meetings with local businesses around possible opportunities the festival can bring to them. The plans are a long way from being ready but some constructive work is being under taken on this.
Furthermore, we have also secured a high level agreement to look again at features of the events policy relating to Brockwell Park. This would include setting a maximum cap on numbers in the park for any event, tighter noise controls and a trigger for public scrutiny. We are looking to set out a timetable for these reforms to govern any events in 2019 and reduce the overall events burden in Brockwell Park.
Finally, Cllr Fred Cowell will continue working with Brockwell Park Community Partners towards ensuring that Heritage Lottery funding can be used to improve Brockwell Hall as a basis for a more secure future for the park in order to develop long term funding, and investment security for Brockwell Park.
As local cllrs we were in Ira Court recently, talking to residents about the issues that matter to them. A number of issues came up which we have taken action on: • We have raised the problem of the broken lift in block A with L&Q who issued a 24 hour emergency job to the contractor to fix. We have expressed our disappointment that residents had to wait 10 days with no lift.
• We also raised a complaint about the broken panels in the ceiling of block B and L&Q have assured us that this work will be scheduled as soon as possible.
• A number of EU residents living in Ira Court expressed their concerns about what a Conservative hard Brexit means for their future living and working here. We have written to every EU citizen living in Ira Court to explain the work that we are doing to fight to protect the rights of EU citizens.
• We have raised residents’ concerns about smoking and antisocial behaviour in the stairwells and corridors with the local Safer Neighbourhoods police team and will ensure this is on the agenda at their next panel meeting.
As your local Labour councillors, we are always happy to help, and we regularly doorknock in the ward to listen to residents’ concerns, hold advice surgeries for residents to raise individual concerns, organise drop-in consultation events and public meetings on local issues, and attend resident association meetings.
Brockwell park is host to Field Day from the 1-3 of June. This is a much larger commercial event than the park has previously hosted and we are currently working with the organisers on managing and controlling the event.
We understand the concern about large events in Brockwell Park. We fought to block another larger event, Lovebox, from coming to the park, have refused permission for previous events that have not met the standards required in the park to return, and will
be having a post event consultation on whether Field Day comes back to the park next year.
As part of the authorisation process, Field Day has to go through a licensing application. This determines whether under the 2003 Licensing Act it can be granted a licence to sell alcohol and host live music. The Council’s licensing committee then has to review the application. This is a statutory process which is independent from political considerations. The committee is required to take the following four things into account.
As your local councillors, we have been consistent in engaging with local residents, listening to views and concerns, and working on your behalf. Since Field Day and Lovebox first applied to come to Brockwell park, we have met with many residents’ groups, worked with community and park organisations, doorknocked local streets and organised a public meeting for Thurlow Park residents to have their say. We published our view on this website here before Christmas and lobbied hard to stop Lovebox from coming, and for Field Day to reduce the size of the event.
We are currently drafting a submission for the licensing committee to consider, on behalf of Thurlow Park residents, though we would also like residents to make their own submissions on the application itself, and how the event should be managed.
In particular we would like your views on:
We are concerned about the lateness of the times on all evenings. In particular, we are concerned about the Sunday close time given that GCSE exams are the next day. We would like to move these hours back. What is your view on appropriate hours for the events to finish?
How the dispersal should be managed in order to maximise public safety? – at the moment the plan is to exit largely through the Herne Hill entrance.
Should there be a lower upper limit on the noise than the festivals last summer? There were a number of complaints about the noise and we want to get it right.
Field Day have made some extensive commitments about immediate clear up as
well as a general clear up. Where should there resources be targeted?
Under the terms of the Licensing Act, is there anything else we should take